Recently, Slow Hand Farm of Portland, OR sent out word that CSAs can use your help:
"After some great years in the mid-00s, many CSAs have been having trouble filling their memberships... we're not doing the kind of outreach we need to spread the word about the real benefits of CSA, and the fundamentals of the model."
Josh Volk of Slow Hand has been a member of the Portland Area CSA Coalition since before it even got its name. For four years, he’s managed their website and listserv – which is how he realized where CSAs are lacking, and what we need to do about it.
Here’s what they’re working on right now:
- Formalizing the coalition
- Hiring their first-ever staff person
- Fundraising, grant-writing
Here’s how you can help:
- Learn about the CSA model
- Post on your Facebook page about why we need CSAs
- “Like” Slow Hand Farm, Healing Ponds Farm and any other local farms you know, on Facebook
- Sign up with a CSA, if you haven’t already!
- Donate to the Portland Area CSA Coalition (write to firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how)
Let’s make local farming a viable way for farmers to make a living, and for us to feed our families! Please take a moment to support CSA.